Tuesday 26 January 2010

The joys of iGoogle...


When I first heard about start pages like iGoogle, I have to confess, I wasn't convinced about them. Internet sites I regularly want to visit like BBC news and weather are listed at the side in my 'Favorites' on Internet Explorer and this system has been working well for me for years. However...I am now a total convert to iGoogle! It's just so convenient having gadgets and feeds from websites I frequently visit all on one page. No more faffing around in the 'Favorites' bar for me! And, of course, I love anything that can be customised...

So on my iGoogle here's what I've added:


  • Time & date - set to GMT

  • BBC News - World Edition

  • BBC Weather - set to Oxford

  • Dictionary.com

  • Wikipedia

  • Google Map Search

  • Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day

  • Train Journey Planner

  • Babylon Translation Tool

  • Tetris (I couldn't resist!)

  • And last but by no means least...Facebook!

Here are a couple of screenshots of what it looks like -





There are so many gadgets you can add it would be very easy to get a bit carried away. I have 11, which is definitely the limit I think!

5 comments:

Laura J. Wilkinson said...

Catherine - I love the blog background you've chosen! What a shame it won't show in RSS feeds. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Very nice layout indeed.

Jane said...

Count me as another fan of your layout - very pretty!

JAmes said...

I love the layout too. Very jealous! I thought I was being quite exciting with my spotty background until I saw yours.

Kath said...

When I opened your blog I immediately got a feeling of spaciousness which was really refreshing. One question I'd like to ask: I notice you've got a copyright notice as a footer and also notice that I haven't! Please could you tell me if this is something you created or is there a gadget available somewhere?

Post a Comment