Thursday 11 March 2010

Tweeting...

There's been a lot of hype about Twitter but I'm not so compelled to jump on the bandwagon with this one I'm afraid. Yes, it's easy to use and forces information to be short and snappy but I just find the whole Twitter thing a bit unnecessary, given that an RSS feed could deliver the same (and more) information without the need to use yet another programme. Maybe if I had a Smart Phone I would think differently though. I had a look at the hashtag #olc10 for the Oxford Libraries Conference yesterday and can see how, in certain situations like conferences, it could be a convenient & efficient way of relaying up-to-the-minute accounts of what's going on for people who aren't there. I'm still not entirely convinced of its usefulness for those of us who are not out and about with an iPhone etc. When you've got a PC or laptop in front of you, I think you might as well as look at the library's website or blog...


No comments:

Post a Comment