Sunday 28 February 2010

Casting Pods and Tubing You (or me or someone else...)


I first discovered the wonderful world of podcasts a couple of years ago through iTunes when I got my iPod. I don't listen to podcasts very much because I find I don't take things in as much when I'm just listening things compared to when I watch or read. That said, I still think they're a great medium for sharing information of whatever kind (lectures, languages, news, debates, comedy etc.) and being able to set up a feed to get the latest episodes is brilliantly convenient! When I first got my iPod I had a feed for a travel podcast 'Dom Joly vs. the Planet', where the comedian was challenged by Sunday Time's Readers to do crazy sports around the world. It was hilarious! So far I haven't listened to anything too academic but having just had a browse of iTunesU there are some temptingly interesting lectures out there...

YouTube is an old favourite of mine! I use it mainly for the music videos on there but sometimes also to watch clips of films or comedy acts. It really is a treasure trove! I don't think I've ever seen anything serious on YouTube but I've heard there are serious videos out there. I've never had the inclination or the equipment to post a video but it seems easy enough, which is why I can see how it could work promoting services in the library sphere, whether it be a tour of the library itself or step by step instructions on how to search for library items on the catalogue etc. I think visual learners could benefit hugely from video instructions rather than the traditional talk or leaflet.

I had a little gander around YouTube and came across this video 'Tour the Library' by the Harper College Library, which I thought was a great example of a library using YouTube to promote its services. It's good quality and combines a bit of humour with the essential information without being too cheesy. I think they pull it off - do you...?

No comments:

Post a Comment