Friday 19 February 2010

Yum...that was Delicious!


First things first, please excuse the terrible title of this post - it's Friday afternoon and my brain can't do any better than this!

This week's task of exploring the world of social bookmarking was completely new to me and I wasn't sure what to expect when it came to how it worked and it's potential usefulness to me. However, my initial reservations soon disappeared as I set up my Delicious page and began to appreciate the value of social bookmarking services.

I had no trouble with setting up my Delicious account as it all seemed fairly intuitive and soon set about bookmarking and tagging some of the websites I regularly look at like the news (international and local) the weather, the 23 Things Oxford page and PubMed. I also obediently bookmarked this blog and tagged it 'Ox23' so that anybody who's interested/participating in the '23 Things Oxford' programme can find it easily.

As far as exploring networks went, I had a look at the History Faculty Library's and Phil Bradley's Delicious pages and added them to my network, as well as subscribing to Phil Bradley's page by RSS feed.

I can see myself continuing to use Delicious in the future because of the convenience of being able to access my bookmarks wherever I happen to find myself. I think that tagging is also a great idea because of the way in which it makes relevant information much easier to find and I like the idea of networks and people collaborating all around the world. The word 'folksonomy' is pretty cool too!

No comments:

Post a Comment